Ever wonder how true leaders and people of influence become successful? No, it’s not by joining The Church of Scientology or the Illuminati. It’s simply by reading one of the greatest books of all time, the holy grail of social interaction and understanding people. I’m talking about ‘How to Win Friends and Influence People’ a book suggested to me by a dear friend.
It was Christmas holidays and I was looking for an enjoyable book to read on my journey back to Toronto from Antarctica a.k.a Ottawa. I sent a text to my friend Brian who had suggested this book to me many times in the past and constantly raved about its author Dale Carneige. I was slightly skeptical about the relevance of a book written in 1937 to today’s social media driven audience. With nothing to lose I decided to purchase the book and since then have re-read it several times. From start to finish it covers the fundamentals of human interaction and learning to truly enjoy the art of conversation.
The most memorable message and theme can be summarized with the quote “to be interesting, be interested”. Human beings are self indulgent creatures, they love nothing more than sharing their own story and having others listen to them. I know many of you may think that when you listen to your dear aunt Dorothy go on about her cats, you’re truly being engaged and present with her. But how many times do you ACTUALLY listen and allow her to feel important? Showing genuine interest in a person can open up a wonder of opportunities and allow for a sense of ease and trust to be established. These teachings apply to our daily interactions but are especially relevant in a professional setting; getting to know our clients and their behavior can help bridge gaps and allow for more meaningful and pleasant interactions.
With 75 years of relevant lessons I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone in marketing, or for those who want to polish up their social skills. I leave you with this quote, “If you believe in what you are doing, then let nothing hold you up in your work. Much of the best work of the world has been done against seeming impossibilities. The thing is to get the work done.”-Dale Carniege
- Eric

No comments:
Post a Comment